18 June 2007

day 88

when i was fourteen, a friend of mine gave me günter bruno fuchs' poem Für ein Kind. i put it in my wallet and carried it around with me until i stopped carrying a wallet.

For a Child


I have said prayers. So take from the sun and then go.
The trees will foliate.

I have asked the blossoms to grace you.


Once you get to the current, there waits a ferryman.
In the evenings his heart chimes over the water.

His boat is planked golden, that carries you.


The watersides will foliate.

I have asked the beings to love you.
One you will meet who has heared me.



Für ein Kind

Ich habe gebetet. So nimm von der Sonne und geh.
Die Bäume werden belaubt sein.
Ich habe den Blüten gesagt, sie mögen dich schmücken.

Kommst du zum Strom, da wartet ein Fährmann.
Zur Nacht läutet sein Herz übers Wasser.
Sein Boot hat goldene Planken, das trägt dich.

Die Ufer werden belaubt sein.
Ich habe den Menschen gesagt, sie mögen dich lieben.
Es wird dir einer begegnen, der hat mich gehört.

No comments: