30 April 2007

Nightly Talk on God and the World

here's my translation of karl mickel's Nächtliches Gespräch über Gott und die Welt. In English: Nightly Talk on God and the World. The homepage i have linked to is maintained by his children, Carla Lehmann and Paul-Michael Mickel. Here you'll find the audio-version.

Nightly Talk on God and the World


The hand: five fingers and the world's
Five continents, my hand: the world
The world: my lot. In this stonetown
Third floor, the world rises and falls.

That's what she said, and that it was my fault
That it was I who brought it into being, who keeps it alive
That I was such as God: Who, patiently,
(That's what I say) suspects me of intention to defraud

So not I. I am who dwells in our modern world
While I need it, it needs me not
I am not God, I dare not judge
It bears with me and I'm rewarded much

And I (I idiot!) question her love.
What did she want? "Just you, the ordinary stuff."



Nächtliches Gespräch über Gott und die Welt

Die Hand: fünf Finger, und die Erde hat
Fünf Kontinente, meine Hand: die Welt
Die Welt: mein Teil. In dieser Steinestadt
Im dritten Stockwerk steigt die Welt und fällt -

Das sagte sie und sagte, ich sei schuld
Ich sei es, der die Welt erschuf, erhält
Sei gleichsam Gott: der sieht sich mit Geduld
(Das sage ich) um seine Welt geprellt -

Also nicht ich. Ich bin, der sie bewohnt
Ich brauche sie, jedoch braucht sie mich nicht
Ich bin nicht Herr, ich halte kein Gericht
Erträgt sie mich, bin ich genug belohnt -

Und ich (ich Arsch!) stell ihre Lieb in Frage.
Was wollte sie? "Mit Dir normale Tage."

No comments: